Monday, April 21, 2008

Gestational Diabetes?

Hello again. I had another Dr. visit on Friday, April 18th, when I had my gestational diabetes screening, as well as an anemia test. The Dr. said I was measuring right on target, 29 weeks, my blood pressure was great and my weight gain was on pace. All in all, everything's great!
Then today I got the blood test results back. I failed both of them. I have to start taking an over-the-counter iron supplement (which I had to do back in high school, and I didn't do well on them, they made me sick to my stomach) and I have to go back in on Wednesday for the 3-hour glucose tolerance test. I will have to fast that morning, go in at 8 and have blood drawn, then drink more of that extra-sugary, flat orange soda and have blood drawn every hour on the hour for the next three hours. Please pray that this will come back in the normal range! If it does not, then I will have to go on a more strict diet and exercise regimen, possibly on some medication, and I will probably have a bigger baby, with the risk of preeclampsia (pregnancy-induced hypertension...basically, high blood pressure that is dangerous for mommy and baby, and as far as I know, I'll have to either be induced early or have a c-section early...which I may already have to do if the baby will be that large.) Please keep me and Baby Joel in your prayers! I'll update again when I know anything else.

1 comment:

Daniel & Heidi Schatz said...

Hey Jenn, I failed my anemial test too. Those good ole' iron pills taste bad but gave me some energy. Anyway, I was worried about my Diabetes test too...but so many women told me not to worry, a lot of women have that in their pregnancy and have great deliveries and labor. Anyway, I'm praying for you! Take care.