Tuesday, May 13, 2008

05-13-08

My first Mother's Day was this past Sunday! It was great. Since I've been married, they were always somewhat depressing, because normally I wasn't able to spend them with my Mom, and even if I was, I was not a mom yet, and I wanted to be. This year, I'm a mom. No, my child can't say it yet. And maybe I'm not a very good mom, because I don't even know what my child looks like! But I'm still a mother. :) Woo-hoo!
My husband is such a sweetie! After a particularly hard week at work (being 32 weeks pregnant doesn't help, but it was also a holiday weekend and schools around here are getting out), Josh suprised me! He picked me up Friday and took me out for crab legs, a favorite of mine that we don't get too often. We both knew Sunday it would be crazy to try to go out, because I can't wait long for my food these days without getting sick. So on Sunday, he took me to Zales to pick out my present. We found a beautiful opal ring and earrings! I've always loved genuine opals, and I was really hoping for something my first mother's day that could be a family heirloom. The ring is an oval-shaped genuine opal with a lot of fire in it, with two settings of four tiny diamonds framing it on either side, and a second tier of three diamonds outside the setting of four, all set in yellow gold. The earrings are also genuine opal, small and pear shaped with lots of fire. I'm so excited to have my own opals!
Baby Joel is pretty active these days. He gets comfy sometimes with his foot in my ribs, but mostly he likes to have something propped up against my hip bones (I'm not sure what it is. Feels like feet, he still flips around a lot.) The typical baby, he likes to get really active when I try to lay down and relax. That's fine with me, because that's when I get to enjoy his movements anyway. (And trust me, even though he's stronger these days, he doesn't keep me awake. I'm pretty sure not even a tornado could do that.) According to average growth charts, he's over 4 pounds and around 18 inches. I believe it. He's also got sharp bones. (Occasionally, he likes to pretend he's Jackie Chan or somebody. "Hi-yah!" Karate kick to the liver, just when I don't expect it.)
Baby Joel also seems to have developed a taste for particular music. Well, at least particular songs. He likes mozart okay, but prefers whatever it is to be loud. Baby Joel likes his daddy's guitar playing, but most of all, he kicks a lot when his daddy sings! (Works for me, that means when the time comes, Daddy gets to sing him to sleep!) He also likes a lot of church music, especially when men sing. He seems to prefer deeper voices.
That's all for now. Hope all the moms out there had a great weekend!

2 comments:

Tom & Kandice Keegan said...

Hi you guys! I just found your blog link...Congratulations on the baby! Boys are wonderful. I worked until I was 40 weeks, so I feel your pain :) Can't wait to see pics of baby Joel. Just wanted to say hi! We'll be praying for you guys & baby Joel!

-Kandice Keegan
www.tomandkandice.blogspot.com

The Bryants said...

Happy First Mother's Day! I'm glad it was so special! Way to go Josh!