Saturday, March 7, 2009

Friday, Saturday, and Plans for Sunday

(Jenn) Friday, we babysat the girls during lunch, so Mindy could take Jeff out to eat for his birthday. I read a few books to them after we ate, then we put in a movie for them. Jeff and Mindy didn't take long.
-
Later that afternoon, Josh and Joel and I took a taxi to a store called Carrefour, a French store that puts Walmart and Sam's Club to shame. It was huge! We walked up and down the aisles and wrote down prices of everything we would need to buy if we lived here (we are researching what our start-up fund will need to be). We got a little over half way through the store...in about three and a half hours. We had to stop then, not only because we were starving, but because we didn't want to be late for Jeff's surprise party that the church members were throwing him. ;)
-
The people from the church suprised Jeff with an 'asado' (grilling out) at the house. We got to experience true Argentine Asado (grilled meat). Raul slow cooked some ribs to perfection, seasoning them with only salt. That meat had more flavor than most, if not all, the steaks I have ever eaten. It was awesome!
-
Today, we went on visitation: me with Mindy, Josh with Alfredo and Mauricio. Josh and his group saw three souls saved! Mindy made a contact with a lady named Claudia, who she will be going back to visit with next week. We're hoping she will come to church tomorrow with her five children (ages 15 to 2). We also saw a rotweiller that, at first glance, I thought was a small horse. Mindy ran, I just stared. LoL, in hindsight, I probably should've run. The gate was only being held shut by a wire that looked like a twist tie, and that dog sounded hungry for human!
-
The people here all have gated yards, and most use dogs for security. Purebreds are stolen quite often, but I doubt that Rot's owner will have any problems. :)
-
Stray dogs are also a big problem here. I've seen at least 10-20 stray dogs every day that we've been here. They're mostly mixed breeds, but I have seen a couple of purebreds, including greyhounds. You all know me, but no, I'm not trying to smuggle one home. The strays tend to look better than some of the dogs with owners.
-
Considering the dog problem, I guess it's not so odd that today was the first time I saw a stray cat. I only saw the one.
-
The ladies meeting this evening went well. For those of you who don't know, I was able to give my testimony, as well as teach a short beauty class...all in English. Mindy translated. Mindy said it went over well, everyone seemed to enjoy it. I gave a few skin care tips, and taught them to make a fresh fruit facial mask, of which I was able to send home enough for one mask for each lady. We also had a short Q&A on haircare.
-
After we picked up the girls from the babysitter's, we went home to Jeff and Josh, who were bragging about having gone out for steak without us. (They didn't, there were leftovers from the Asado all over the kitchen counters that they had eaten...just like a man to not think about the practical side of the lie. ;) They did, however, order ice cream. Yes, I said order. Here in La Plata, you can order ice cream and they bring it to your house. All ice cream is expensive, so it's not too different from going to the store for yourself. Josh said there is some leftover.
-
Josh and I are going to meet Ron Self tomorrow after the morning service at Iglesia Bautista del Faro (where we're singing the special). We'll take another taxi back to the airport in Buenos Aires where Bro. Self is going to pick us up. Then, from what I understand, we'll be headed to northern Buenos Aires to spend 20 or 30 minutes in two different evening services before we settle for the duration at a third service. I think the point is to see some different services at different churches.
-
Well, it's my turn for the shower, then I'm hoping Joel will feel like sleeping so I can go to bed before 1 AM. It's going to be a full day tomorrow! We'll post again soon.

No comments: